St. Laurence’s Parishioners’ Open Meeting (Forum)
Next Parishioners' Open Meeting
Thursday, 25th January, 7.30pm
This meeting will be a hybrid meeting. It will be held BOTH in the Parish Room (for those who want to join in-person) AND on Zoom (for those preferring to join from home).
Zoom details will be posted here and in the Newsletter.
Minutes of November 2023 meeting (minutes of all meetings are at the foot of this page).
At this meeting we aim to confirm arrangements for our new Parish Pastoral Council (PPC) - see below for more information.
Please send any additional items to firstname.lastname@example.org by 20th Jan.
Proposal for a Parish Pastoral Council (PPC)
Our Parishioners' Open Meeting on 21st Nov approved the proposal to establish a Parish Pastoral Council.
Why is this proposal being made?
We want to strengthen the involvement of parishioners in the management of the Parish and its pastoral life and provide better support to our Parish Priest. All parishes in our diocese must have structures for lay involvement – either a Parish Pastoral Council (PPC), or regular open meetings of the parish, or both. At St Laurence’s, we have used the open meeting approach. These provide a valuable place to share and discuss Parish issues. However, open meetings are not suitable for detailed planning, and it often proves hard to get things done between meetings. The informal groups that try to fill this gap do not have clear responsibilities, are small, and have no process to renew and refresh.
Key points of the proposal
- We will create a Parish Pastoral Council at St Laurence’s, consisting of 10-14 people and meeting at least 3 times per year.
- In addition, we will create core teams for key areas of Parish life. Each team will have 3-4 members, including at least 2 PPC members. No-one should be on more than 2 teams. This will help to ensure clear responsibilities and involve more people in running Parish life.
- Exactly what teams we create is open to discussion. The initial suggestion is:
- Finance committee (already exists)
- Liturgy, education, and faith sharing
- Parish office and staff support
- Communications and outreach
- Social activities
- Buildings, grounds, and facilities.
- It was noted at the November meeting that these teams are intended to add to, not replace, existing activities and teams in the Parish (for example, SVP, CAFOD, Tech Team).
- It was also noted that ecumenism and inter-faith dialogue are important aspects that should be recognised, possibly within the remit of "outreach".
- Parishioners’ Open Meetings will continue as a focus for discussion and communication that everyone in the Parish is encouraged to attend – there will be 3 meetings per year.
- PPC and core team membership will be for 2 years, after which we will aim to refresh the membership and to rotate members between core teams. This means people need not feel they are ‘committing for life’, will make us actively seek involvement from more people, and will ensure we regularly get new perspectives on all our activities.
More details are available in the Proposal for Parish Governance agreed at the last Open Meeting.
Proposed next steps
- Parishioners will be invited to express interest in joining the PPC and/or core teams (and also to nominate other people) as a ‘New Year’s Resolution’ in January.
- We will research and draft a constitution for the PPC (based on other Parishes' experience) durng December
- We aim to discuss and approve PPC and core team initial membership and constitution at the September 2023 Open Meeting
- Our ojective is for the PPC to meet for the first time in February 2024.
Any comments on this proposal or suggestions for improvement are very welcome. Please email email@example.com and/or come along to the Open Meeting!
Saint Laurence’s Parishioners’ Open Meetings are held every 2-3 months.
- Thursday, 25th January, 7.30pm
All parishioners are warmly invited and encouraged to attend all meetings.
More information on the Parishioners' Open Meetings can be found here.
Minutes of previous meetings
- 21 Nov 2023 (PDF)
- 21 Sep 2023 (PDF)
- 4 July 2023 (PDF)
- 20 April 2023 (PDF)
- 7 February 2023 (PDF)
- 24 November 2022 (PDF)
- 20 September 2022 (PDF)
- 14 July 2022 (PDF)
- 17 May 2022 (PDF)
- 17 March 2022 - return to in-person meetings, with on-line hybrid option (PDF)
- 18 January 2022 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 25 November 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 14 September 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 13 July 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 9 June 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 27 April 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 25 March 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 23 February 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 21 January 2021 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 1 December 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 20 October 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 15 September 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 11 August 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 15 July 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 16 June 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 20 May 2020 Online Meeting (PDF)
- 28 January 2020 (PDF)
- 10 October 2019 (also PDF)
- 2 July 2019 (also PDF)
- 4 April 2019 (also PDF)
- 15 January 2019 (also PDF)
- 10 October 2018 (also PDF)
- 5 July 2018
- 23 April 2018
- 8 February 2018
- 16 October 2017
- 12 July 2017
- 24 April 2017
- 9 February 2017
- 3 October 2016
- 21 July 2016
- 18 April 2016
- 4 February 2016
- 22 October 2015
- 16 July 2015
- 27 April 2015
- 29 January 2015
- 20 October 2014
- 17 July 2014
- 8 May 2014
- 9 January 2014
- 14 October 2013
- 4 July 2013
- 15 April 2013
- 28 January 2013
- 15 October 2012
- 12 July 2012
- 24 April 2012
- 19 January 2012
- 10 October 2011
- 7 July 2011
- 11 April 2011
- 27 January 2011
- 4 October 2010
- 20 May 2010
- 11 March 2010
- 15 October 2009
- 14 May 2009
- 26 March 2009
- 13 January 2009
- 15 October 2008
- 10 April 2008
- 31 January 2008
- 4 December 2007
- 25 September 2007
- 16 May 2007
- 15 March 2007 (first meeting)